Sunday, July 12, 2009

Summer


Just some random summer notes: First, Luke has gotten in touch with his inner boy. He will throw any kind of ball he can get his hands on (I think it was the week at Princess camp aka: Aunt Christine's house). He is really into baseball, basketball, football, tennis balls, anything that he can throw (including bowling balls). It's pretty funny except when we're at Target and he throws them and then refuses to pick them up...so i have to chase them around. This is a picture of Olivia at a birthday party from yesterday. It was a pool party, which was exciting enough, and then the ponies arrived! The Pony rides were really a hit with the girls. I think Olivia took 5 rides...a few on each color, white and brown...because it must be different on a different color pony!

Olivia has been working on her swimming a lot (well, not really, but she's been in the pool a lot since we joined the club). After a two week "intense" swimming course, she came out just dipping her face in and doing her "floating X's" with help. Then we went to Wisconsin and she started to actually put her face in the water and open her eyes (a big deal, trust me). Then she was going down to the bottom of the pool, butt first to retrieve diving sticks. And then...suddenly out of the blue, after Another two weeks of lessons (if you're keeping score, we're up to four weeks of lessons by now) she decided to try and take her feet of the ground. And she actually swam!! Not just a few little kicks either, she swam about 5-6 feet the first time! It was amazing! I never thought it would be so exciting to see someone swim (and not well at that!), after all I taught lessons for a few years, I taught lots of kids to swim. But, seeing your child actually get it for the first time is really cool.
So, now we go to the pool where Luke throws the diving sticks in for Olivia (he is not a fan of the water for some reason...Ok, it's because he jumped to me the other day and I let him go under just to see what would happen...he didn't like it), and Olivia swims. Yay!

No comments: