The squash beetles ravaged all my zucchini and squash plants, so I had to rip them all out mid August and plant some new ones. They're growing nicely now:
I also planted some more lettuce and spinach. I should have a huge crop of lettuce pretty soon! I planted it all at once, instead of staggaring it, so we'll be eating a lot of salads!One thing I'll really miss about the garden is my Zinnia's. I've had continuous cuttings of flowers for the past 3 months, so our tables are never bare! Our garden "neighbor" Bob even gave us some of his clippings, so I've had a ton of Zinnia's! Next year I'm going to plant them all around the outside of the garden like he did so I can have even more.
Our tomatoes are also doing well, as well as the green peppers. The red peppers never seem to actually change to red, but they're just as good when they're green!
The kids sprayed the plants with some soapy water today to try and drive all the squash bugs away from my new plants. I wonder if I should have left more weeds around to deter them...They probably come to my garden because they cant' find anyone else's since they're covered in weeds! Oh, that's broccoli just to the side of the huge bush of marigolds. We'll see how that comes up!
No comments:
Post a Comment